Banganarti

From MedNub
Jump to: navigation, search

On the east bank of the Nile, 1012 km upriver from Philae. An extraordinary church, unlike any other in Nubia, with numerous side chapels and murals memorializing the rulers of Makouria, who may be buried nearby. The structure appears to have been built in the 8th century, and wholly rebuilt in the 10th. Illustrated pottery shows Classic, Late, and Terminal Christian wares. The church stands in the middle of a much larger walled compound which is thus far unexcavated. Excavations by the Polish Center of Mediterranean Archaeology are still ongoing.

Sources: For the church, Zurawski 2003, 241-53; Zurawski 2004; Zurawski 2007; Zurawski 2008. For the paintings, Laptas 2004.

(Contributed by William Y. Adams.)